- 2 Cups water
- 1 tsp chicken (or vegetable) base or 2 bouillon cubes
- 1 cup rice (I like Basmati or brown)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 med onion, coarse chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, coarse chopped or 1 (4oz) can mushrooms, sliced or pieces & stems
- ½ cup enchilada sauce or salsa of your choice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Bring the water & base (or cubes) to boil, add rice, reduce heat to simmer, cover, set timer per rice package instructions – about 20 minutes for Basmati, about 40 for brown.
- While rice is cooking, prepare your garlic, onion & mushrooms.
- Heat the oil in a medium size skillet, when it comes to med high heat, add onions, turn down heat to medium and cook onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir until you can really smell the garlic (love that aroma!!) then add mushrooms. Cook on medium another 5 minutes until the mushrooms, if fresh are wilted. Turn off heat.
- When rice is done, stir in the onion/garlic/mushroom mixture, enchilada sauce and cilantro.
Note: If you have any leftover rice – reheat the next day, add a can of beans and ¼ cup more enchilada sauce or salsa and you’ve got a delicious rice & beans!